Top 10 Best Air Mattresses For Everyday Use Reviewed for 2020
Air mattresses are not just for camping trips or overnight guests. As inflatable beds, air mattresses are an ideal sleeping solution for communal living situations and cramped quarters. They’re also an affordable solution for people who are just starting life on their own and cannot afford new sleeping accessories and furniture.
Also, since they offer a ton of health benefits – especially when it comes to providing back pain relief – air mattresses have become one of the top options for people looking for long term use inflatable mattresses. In this article, we will be listing the Top Ten best air mattresses that are suitable for daily use for people who are contemplating going down this road.
Airbeds are not created equal, and this is especially worth noting if you are looking for an airbed that you will use daily and not a guest bed that is only used once in a while before it is stored for months on end. When choosing an air mattress, it all boils down to three things: comfort durability, air retention, and quality of construction material.
While these mattresses are not necessarily the first choice for people looking for a bed, they still can be used as daily sleeping paraphernalia. Interestingly, a majority of the air mattresses available on the market today actually rival the height of standard innerspring mattresses and are e heavier than some of the inflatable mattresses people carry with them on camping trips.
With some bedding, an air mattress can be made to look and feel like a permanent bed. A standard mattress’ beddings (i.e., linens and such) should fit an inflatable bed well. As such, you can cover your mattress with a fitted sheet and top it off with a comforter. If you like, you can also throw in a pillow or two.
You will be surprised by how comfortable these mattresses feel. Generally, the thicker an inflatable bed is, the more comfortable it’ll be. However, some thinner inflatable mattresses also provide a soft, comfortable surface too. Air mattresses designed for indoor use have a soft-flocked, velveteen-textured top layer. The great thing about these mattresses is that you can adjust their firmness by letting out or adding air.
Want to know which air mattresses available today are best for everyday use? Read on! Our selection of air mattresses is based on owner and verified customer experiences, as well as intensive product analysis and research.
1. SoundAsleep Products Air Mattress with ComfortCoil Technology
To start, we have the SoundAsleep air mattress. This particular mattress is made with what the company calls “ComfortCoil,” which ensures that the air mattress maintains its shape and firmness throughout the night—something many other air mattresses have issues with. Another big perk is the SureGrip bottom—when placed on a hard, flat surface, SureGrip ensures the mattress will stay in place, and won’t experience any sliding.
• The top of the air mattress is waterproof
• Many reviews claim the inflation is quiet
• Slightly raised edges to prevent rolling off
• Not designed for outdoor usage
• The mattress takes roughly 4 minutes to fill
2. King Koil Air Mattress with Built-in Pump [https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XWG7H3S/]
Next is the King Koil air mattress. This mattress inflates quicker than some competition, on average inflating in about 2 minutes. King Koil air mattresses are designed to feel like your regular everyday mattress—making it a great choice for guest rooms or day-to-day use for yourself.
• The mattress inflates very quickly
• With a 20 inch height, you won’t feel too close to the floor
• More firm than other air mattresses
• Per reviews, prone to air leakage
• Some reviews claim it may not retain shape/size over time
3. Lazery Sleep Air Mattress – (heavy duty) [https://www.amazon.com/Lazery-Sleep-Air-Mattress-Inflation/dp/B017DP5KWC/]
Next on our list is the Lazery air mattress. With seven different firmness settings, this might be the best option for anyone looking for easy customization in their mattress choices. The particular model listed above is the standard electric pump model, however, Lazery does make a camping model, if you are in need of an air mattress for camping.
• Seven firmness settings to easily inflate to your needs
• Easily inflate/deflate with the press of a button
• Gripped bottom to prevent sliding
• Only supports up to 500 pounds – most other models support up to 600 pounds
• Some reviewers experienced issues with putting bed-sheets on the mattress
4. AirMattress Raised Inflatable Bed [https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IA86R46/]
Anyone looking for an air mattress to use on camping should definitely consider this mattress. The AirMattress bed is one of the most camping-friendly mattresses listed thus far, with an easy-to-use valve to manually inflate, and a built-in pump for indoor usage. Additionally, a bed-skirt and fitted sheet are included.
• Bed skirt and fitted sheet included
• Made with laminated vinyl to prevent leaks through stretching
• Can be inflated with an air pump
• Slightly shorter than other mattresses, reviews claiming it to be about 16 – 18 inches off the ground
• Relatively loud when inflating electronically
5. OlarHike Air Mattress with Built-in Pump for Guests- (budget) [https://www.amazon.com/Mattress-Inflatable-Elevated-Comfortable-Mattresses/dp/B07LCBRQK5/]
In the halfway mark of our list, we have thhe OlarHike air mattress. This is a great budget mattress for anyone looking for something simple, costing roughly half of the other mattresses thus far. This air mattress is also built with highly durable materials, so it is ideal for any camping trips you might want to take-and is definitely an option to consider if you’re looking to camp on a budget.
• This mattress is a great choice for those on a tight budget
• Puncture-proof material – have your animals on the bed without concern!
• Inflation stops automatically after 15 minutes of continued inflation for safety purposes
• Some reviews claim it is too large for most tents
• Warranty is not covered in product description
6. Coleman Camping Cot Air Mattress [https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU6AVLW/]
If you’re looking for an air mattress to primarily use for camping, the Coleman camping cot air mattress might be up your alley. This air mattress does not have an electric pump option, as it fills with a battery powered pump—batteries are not included, however, a pump is. Another thing to consider is the weight of the cot itself—coming in at about 40 pounds, it might be difficult to transport.
• Pump is included
• Coleman has been around for close to 120 years, making it a safe choice
• Cot is foldable for easy storage
• No electric inflation option
• Batteries are not included
7. Zoetime Upgraded Air Mattress [https://www.amazon.com/Zoetime-Upgraded-Mattress-Elevated-Inflatable/dp/B07F9MCF69/]
The Zoetime air mattress is another great budget option. This mattress is also roughly half the price of other mattresses covered, making it a great option if you need something for the occasional surprise guest. The description claims it is for indoor usage only, however, many reviewers claim they use it for camping—it may be best to use your discretion depending on why you want to purchase an air mattress.
• Budget friendly
• Mattress comes with a 2-year warranty, longer than the standard
• Relatively low-weight compared to other mattresses covered
• Per product description, may only be appropriate for indoor use
• Does not appear to be puncture-proof as other mattresses may be
8. Active Era Air Mattress with Built in Electric Pump & Raised Pillow
Product Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072MH3QP5
The Active Era air mattress is a relatively unique option, as it features a built-in pillow—adding about 3 inches to the height of the mattress at the very end. With the built-in pillow, you won’t need to worry about your pillow falling off during the night—something that can be a problem with other air mattresses.
• The built-in pillow eliminate the risk of your pillow falling off during the night
• Waterproof top layer
• This mattress only has 35 coils, compared to the 40 – 45 of other mattresses listed
• Many reviews pointed out heavy deflation during the night
9. Fox Air Beds Inflatable Bed [https://www.amazon.com/Best-Inflatable-Bed-Fox-Airbeds/dp/B00QQVBGG4/]
The Fox air bed is a comfortable and durable air mattress, great for everyday use or use in a guest room. Many reviews also claim that this is one of the best air mattresses they’ve used for back pain, making it a great choice if you or a loved one suffers from chronic back pain.
• Very comfortable and durable
• Great for back pain
• The mattress is about 20 inches off the ground
• Many reviews state the mattress bulges over time
• Some reviews show the dimensions may be slightly off – slightly smaller than expected
10. Intex Ultra Plush Dura Beam Deluxe Airbed with Headboard [https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Queen-Deluxe-Airbed-Headboard/dp/B07GX3F7F1]
This Intex airbed has a headboard, making it one of the best options if you’re looking to permanently replace your current bed with an air mattress. The headboard makes relaxing on the bed while watching TV much more comfortable, and makes it easier to keep your pillow on the bed. Additionally, it adds a nice aesthetic touch to the mattress that most air mattresses don’t have.
• The included headboard will make relaxing on the bed much more comfortable
• You can utilize either the built-in pump or a hand pump to inflate the mattress
• Intex is a highly reputable brand with astounding customer service
• It does not appear to be possible to put bed sheets on this air mattress
• Warranty is not described on Amazon product listing
11. EnerPlex Never-Leak Camping Series Camping Airbed [https://www.amazon.com/EnerPlex-Never-Leak-Mattress-Inflatable-Warranty/dp/B07S6SXSP6/]
Finally, we have the EnerPlex camping airbed. This air mattress is, as the name implies, best for camping—the mattress itself is about 9 inches high, roughly half the height of all other mattresses listed thus far. Taking that into consideration, however, this is the cheapest option listed, and has an extremely long warranty period—boasting a 2-year warranty, any issues you may have will be covered for quite some time.
• Relatively cheap option for anyone looking for a simple mattress for camping/occasional guests
• Inflates in roughly 90 seconds, much quicker than other air mattresses
• As it is designed with camping in mind, this is a very durable but comfortable mattress
• As the mattress is only 9 inches high, it might not be the most comfortable for long-term use outside of camping
• Only a 30-day money back guarantee – this is separate from the Amazon return policy, however
We covered a lot of great air mattresses today, and I hope that this helps make your decision a bit easier. As there are many variables to the “best” air mattress, I personally would recommend going for the Intex air mattress – number 10 on our list – if you are looking for an air mattress to really impress your guests, or to use as your permanent bed. On the other hand, however, if you are simply looking for something for camping or a simple guest bed, I would recommend the Enerplex air mattress, number 11. The Enerplex mattress is the cheapest option covered, and, while it is relatively shorter compared to other mattresses, it is a great option if you need something simple.
Again, I hope this list was helpful in your search, and I wish you the best of luck!