Top 10 Best Best Bunk Beds for Kids Reviewed for 2020
Bunk beds are the standard when it comes to children’s rooms and sometimes college dorms. While most bunk beds usually are meant for 2 people, they sometimes have additional features that allow for a trundle, or a guest bed on the bottom. Today, bunk beds are made of all different kinds of materials ranging from wood to metal. They even can be so intricate that they have extra features like drawers, loft-style, futons, standard Twin-Over-Twin stacking, or Twin-Over-Full. The prices of a bunk bed can vary depending on what it has to offer or what you are looking for. For most parents, they tend to want something that is both practical and is safe for their children so they aren’t worried at night. This can be something as simple as picking a bed with guardrails, so they won’t worry if their child is a roller or a bed with stairs instead of a ladder for safer climbing. If you are on the hunt for a bunk bud that not only offers safety but customization options as well, then check out the list below. The ones listed below have been thoroughly researched and are based on customer’s reviews and personal experience.
1. Storkcraft Caribou Solid Hardwood Twin Bunk Bed
This twin bunk bed was designed with safety in mind. It’s made of rubberwood that makes it much more durable and sturdier than other beds. It comes with full-length guardrails for each bed and comes with a 4 step ladder. It’s not only safe but multifunctional too! You can make this bed a bunk bed or have two separate beds. This makes it great for cutting down on space, but also allows for splitting the beds as your children age or require different rooms. It also comes in 4 different colors for some personalization.
• Made of rubberwood instead of pine wood for more durability
• Multifunctional, can be 2 separate beds or a bunk
• Comes with removable full-length guardrails for each bed
• The ladder is set for one side of the bed only, so you need to make sure you have the appropriate room for it.
• Low weight limit of 165lbs per each bed so if your child has a friend spend the night or nightmare and would like you to spend some time until they fall asleep, another may not be able to share the bed
2. Zinus Hani Easy Assembly Quick Lock Metal Bunk Bed
The Zinus Hani is a twin over full bunk bed with a steel metal frame. It comes with guardrails for the top bunk and a 4 step ladder. The weight limit for both the bottom and top bed is 175lbs, so it’s perfect for growing children and even some teens! Although the bed is twin over full, you still can save a great deal of space for the bedroom. The Zinus also comes with a 5-year warranty.
• Metal frame for safety and durability
• Nice sized weight limit can even hold teens!
• 5-year warranty
• Ladder is only available on one side of the bed, so the room needs to coordinate
• Guardrails only on the top bed, none are available for the bottom
3. Walker Edison AZWSTOTES Wesley Wood Bunk Bed
The Walker Edison bunk bed is an ideal bed for those that have certain preferences. It has a solid wood foundation and is reliable and sturdy. It can hold up to 250lbs for both the bottom and top because of its durable design. This makes it a great bed for not only children but even for teens and adults! This bed comes with support slats so you don’t need to have an added purchase of a box spring. It comes with guardrails for the top bed and a 4 step ladder. It’s also multifunctional by being able to be separated into 2 beds. There’s also a variety of different color options available.
• Made of solid wood so up to 250lbs can be held by the bottom and top bed
• Multifunctional with the ability to have a bunk bed or 2 separate beds
• Comes in a variety of different colors
• Includes guardrails for the top bed
• The ladder is only available on one side
• Crafted from pine wood, which is known to be cheaper and weak
4. Novogratz Maxwell Twin/Full Metal Bunk Bed
The Novogratz Maxwell is a twin over full metal frame bunk bed with a modern design. Since it’s made with a metal foundation, it is stable and durable. It even comes with metal slats so you don’t have to spend money on a box spring and metal guardrails for the top bed. The ladder is even designed with safety in mind as it sits close to the floor when climbing, unlike others where there is a large gap, leaving room for injuries. The bed also comes in three different colors for those who like a little personalization.
• Safer ladder since it’s placed closer to the ground
• Comes in three different colors
• Guardrails for the top bed and sturdy metal foundation
• The ladder is available on the one side of the bed so the room must match accordingly
• The bed can’t be taken apart and separated
5. Coaster Home Furnishings Stephan Full over Full Bunk Bed Gunmetal – Sturdy
The Coaster Home Furnishings bed is one that’s unique compared to the ones we have listed above. The bed is made of metal with a gunmetal finish. The top bed comes with guardrails to protect from falling off the top. This is where it gets unique, it has 2 curves ladders on each side of the bed so you can place the bed in any position in the room. The ladders even come close to the floor for better stability when climbing. The weight the beds hold is higher as well with 400 on the top and the bottom. They also are both able to fit full-size beds. This is ideal for saving space and having a bed that will last until your child becomes a teen.
• A ladder on both sides of the bed for positioning anywhere in the room
• Ladders close to the floor for stable climbing
• Holds weights up to 400lbs so longevity from a child to a teen
• Lack of custom colors
• Beds can’t be separated
6. Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed for Kids
The Twin-Over-Twin bunk bed is made of both pine wood and plywood ensuring strength and it won’t suffer from any warps, cracks, or mildew issues. It comes in three different colors and is finished in a child-safe lacquer for a long-lasting appearance. This bed is one of the best for space saving because it includes a loft-style system that includes a bed, a desk, a bookshelf, and drawers for storing clothes or toys. The top bed also features a long length guardrail. The bottom bed can also be removed and placed separately, leaving space underneath the top bed as a play area or storage space.
• Includes drawers, bookshelf, and a desk into the base of the bed
• The bottom bed is removable, allowing the space underneath the top to be utilized
• Made of pinewood and plywood for safety and durability
• Ladder is only available in one spot
• The additional features can take up some extra space if they are not needed if you have a desk or drawers already
7. acme Allentown Twin/Twin Bunk Bed with Storage Drawers
The acme Allentown is one of a kind in that it offers a lot when it comes to saving space. The bed comes in twin sizes for both the bottom and the top with the top also having guardrails. It comes with stairs instead of a traditional ladder that is often seen with bunk beds. This makes climbing much safer, especially when your little ones are still sleepy in the morning or at night. The bed also comes with a built-in storage drawer for clothes or toys or other items. When your little one has sleepovers, it has a trundle that pulls out to make an additional bed on the bottom. This can also be used as storage space if the extra sleeping area isn’t what you need.
• Stairs instead of the traditional ladders associated with bunk beds
• Drawers for storage space
• Trundle for guests or additional storage
• The stairs are only placed on one side and cannot be moved
• The beds can’t be placed separately
8. DHP Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder
The DHP Twin-Over-Twin bed is more of a modern style bunk bed that’s ideal for small spaces. It’s made of steel for durability and stability. It has a slanted ladder for added safety compared to straight ladders and guardrails for the top bed. The limits for the weight for the top are 200lbs and 225lbs for the bottom, making this a bed that can fit teens as well as children.
• Ideal for small spaces
• Slanted ladder for safety
• Weight limits of 200lbs and 225lbs fitting teens and children
• Ladder is only installable on one side
• Lack of customizability when it comes to color
9. Harper & Bright Designs Bunk Bed for Kids
The Harper & Bright Design Twin-Over-Twin bed is made of tested wood for stability and sturdiness. It features stairs with a rail instead of the traditional ladder, making this a safer way to reach the top bunk. The stairs can even be placed on either side of the bed. This makes it ideal for fitting it to your room. The top bed also has guardrails to prevent falling while asleep or awake if you have children who roll at night. It comes with a trundle so if your little one has any sleepovers there is an additional place for their guest to sleep. If they don’t want to use it as a bed, it can be turned into a storage space by removing the mattress. The bed also comes in 3 different colors for some personalization.
• Trundle for and extra sleeping space or storage
• Stairs instead of a ladder and can be placed on either side of the bed
• Comes in 3 different colors
• Depending on the version of the bed, the trundle may no longer be available and is just for show
• Beds can’t be separated so as your children age or want a new setup, this isn’t possible
10. Max & Lily Solid Wood Twin over Full Bunk Bed with Trundle Bed
The Max & Lily bed is ideal for small spaces. It’s made of New Zealand pine wood. It’s durable and has a non-toxic finish. It includes pine slats with metal support, so a box spring isn’t needed as an additional purchase. It can hold up to 400lbs on both the bottom and the top bed, making this a great bed for children and teens as well. It comes with 14in guardrails and a reversible ladder that has grooves and handles for easier climbing. The bed also comes with a trundle for additional storage space or an extra bed in case of a guest. You can also separate the beds making 2 different beds for when your children age or want a different setup. It also comes in 6 different colors for more personalization.
• High weight limit at 400lbs so both children, teens, and adults can sleep on the bed
• Handles and grooves on the ladder which is also reversible
• Trundle for storage space or an extra bed
• 6 colors for customization
• Beds can be separated
• While pine is the standard for most beds, mixed materials tend to be longer-lasting
• The ladder can get in the way of a guest at nighttime if using the trundle
Overall, many of the beds listed were great options for parents who not only value safety features, but also want the option to have custom features and a variety of personalization when it comes to colors or additional storage space. While it will depend on your preferences for what you want or need in a bunk bed, the Max & Lily Twin Over Full bed comes out on top as the best. Not only does it save space and offer safety features, but it also has the customization that most of the other beds lack when it comes to color and the trundle.