Top 10 Best Cooling Mattresses for Hot Sleepers Reviewed for 2020
Sleeping at night can be difficult for many adults. The main problems people suffer from are from waking up hot or from aches and pains of a bad mattress. While we sleep our bodies naturally drop in temperature and it’s absorbed into the mattress, pillows, and even the sheets.
Some people naturally produce heat more than others and this can cause problems while sleeping because the heat from your body can reabsorb into the mattress and keep you hotter. How your mattress is made can also cause problems too. Some materials lock the heat in while others can provide ways to rid it like picking up less heat, give better air circulation, and even having cooler surfaces while you sleep.
The most ideal mattresses for those that sleep hot will either give a neutral temperature of sleeping, so they will be neither too hot nor too cold. If you are looking for a mattress that will provide you with a better night’s rest by sleeping cooler, then this is the list for you.
We compiled a list of the top 15 best mattresses for hot sleepers. These picks were all thoroughly researched and were based on verified customers and their own experiences. Read below to see the best mattresses for hot sleepers.
1.Nectar Queen Mattress
The Nectar Queen Mattress has 5 different layers to provide comfort and cooling. The first layer is a Tencel cooling cover that helps circulate air to keep the heat away while you are sleeping and offers bedbug resistance. The second and third layer offers more air circulation and relieves pressure pain while conforming to your body. The fourth layer provides support to your body and the fifth layer gives a breathable support base. This mattress works with all bed types, so it’s guaranteed to fit your frame and even comes in all sizes.
• Tencel cooling cover
• 5 layers of cooling, comfort, and body support
• Fits on all bed frames
• It has a firmness level of firm which can be rough for some sleepers
• The mattress is on the heavy side
2. Classic Brands Cool Gel 2.0 Ultimate Gel Memory Foam 14-Inch Mattress – budget
The Class Brands Cool Gel Mattress is 14in of foam. It has 3.5in of gel memory foam for cooling, 2in of marble gel soft support foam for body support and no motion disturbances, and 8.5in of high-density base foam to reinforce support layers for a more stable base. The mattress has various sizes and a medium-plush firmness.
• Gel memory foam is hypoallergenic and ideal for body cooling
• Medium-plush firmness
• Comes in multiple sizes
• Medium-plush firmness can be negative if you like a harder firmness or need one
• Can be a little heavy so movement can be difficult
3. Tuft & Needle Queen Mattress
The Tuft & Needle Queen Mattress uses adaptive foam that was engineered with help from scientists. The mattress conforms to your body and offers pressure relieving. It’s soft in comfort and has bounce with support. It keeps your body cool by using graphite and gel which is unique compared to other mattresses. Unlike most mattresses, it doesn’t contain coils, latex foam, or memory foam. It also fits on all types of frames.
• Made with gel and graphite which is unique
• Pressure-relieving and boy conformity
• Lightweight compared to most mattresses
• Full foam mattress so can be an adjustment for some
• Medium firmness is ideal for most sleepers, but some might not prefer it
4. Purple Mattress
The Purple Mattress comes with 2in of Hyper-Elastic Polymer material in Purple Grid, 3.5in of density polyurethane foam for the middle layer, and 4in of the density in polyurethanes layer. It comes in 2 types of firmness: soft and firm. Purple also has motion isolation, so your partner won’t feel you moving around or getting in and out of the bed. It also has Free-Flow air channels for neutralizing temperatures, so you are always cool while you are sleeping.
• Uses polyurethane foam instead of memory foam
• Motion isolation
• Free-Flow channels for temperature stabilizing
• Has 2 types of firmness: soft and firm
• The mattress because it’s all foam
• It can be hot at times due to the foam
5. Casper Sleep Wave Mattress – Premium
The Casper Wave mattress has 5 layers of foam to provide comfort, temperature control, and stability. The first layer is soft and for your comfort because it’s made of velvet. The 2nd layer is for airflow to keep you cool. The 3rd is for pressure relieving. The 4th is for spine support with the gel pods and the 5th is the base. It’s 13in total in height and there’s also a hybrid version of the mattress that includes 2 extra layers of support.
• 5 layers of foam
• The hybrid version of the mattress available
• Includes a cooling layer for optimal sleep
• Always keeps the body aligned because of the gel pods
• Medium firmness might be an issue for some sleepers
• The mattress can have an odor and needs to air out for a day or 2
6. Vibe 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The Vibe 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress comes with 2in of gel-infused memory foam that conforms to your body and another 3in of gel-infused foam to allow your body to stay cool while you are sleeping, ensuring you get a peaceful night’s rest. It also comes with a 7in of high-density foam base to provide support and pressure point relief. It also has an adjustable base so it can fit to any frame you have.
• Comes in different types of foam and a hybrid version available
• Has several inches of breathability and cooling
• Memory foam will always help keep your body and spine aligned
• Medium plush can be an adjustment for some people who are used to firm or medium-firm mattresses
• The mattress can take a few days to settle out completely
7. The WinkBed
The WinkBed mattress has a hybrid design with a 5 zoned innerspring and a 3-step back relief system. It also has a triple-layer cooling with a Tencel cover and gel foam. The hybrid consists of coils for edge support and longevity and the foam for comfort and cooling. The 3-step back relief system includes a lumbar support pad to give you support where you need it most. It also is flexible to fit on various frames.
• Several layers of cooling and Tencel cover
• Offers edge support and motion isolation
• Comes with a lumbar support pad
• Has several types of firmness
• The mattress comes in various firmness levels but doesn’t include medium firmness.
• The weight of the mattress is heavy so movement can be difficult
8. BROOKLYN AURORA Advanced Cooling Technology Luxury Hybrid Mattress
The Brooklyn Aurora mattress offers three levels of firmness, so you decide which level of support you want or need. It has a 1.5in layer of CopperFlex foam that provides more body conformity, targeted pressure point relief, and antimicrobial because of the copper. The surface is infused with TitanCool that keeps the body’s temperature at 88 degrees for a comfortable night’s rest. The 2nd layer has 2in of hyper-elastic TitanFlex foam that adjusts to your body as you move. The 1in of memory foam provides conformity and compression support. The 8in base includes encased coils for support and motion isolation. The 1in high-density base adds extra durability.
• 3 firmness options
• It comes with cooling technology to keep your body at 88 degrees all times while you sleep
• Has motion isolation and compression support
• Several layers of support, pain relief, and cooling
• Depending on the size of the mattress it can be heavy
• Not every mattress is an adjustable base
9. GhostBed Luxe Mattress
The GhostBed Luxe Mattress has a 2-stage cooling technology. The cooling topper has 1/2in of cooling fiber to keep you cool while you sleep. The 1in gel memory foam helps keep the heat away as well as the Ghost Ice fabric and layer. The 2in Ghost Bounce layer is similar to latex in that you have the flexibility but the support too. It has a 7.5in high-density support base for support, durability, and longevity. It also fits on several types of frames and comes in several different sizes.
• Multiple mattress sizes available
• Has several cooling stages to keep your body at a comfortable sleeping temperature
• The mattress fits on various types of frames
• The mattress weighs 122lbs for a queen so it is on the heavy side
• Mattress ranges from medium plush to medium firmness so it can be hard to get used to
10. Cocoon By Sealy Chill Mattress
The Cocoon by Sealy offers 2 levels of firmness: medium-soft and extra firm. It has 4 layers in total. The first layer of the mattress offers cooling technology that absorbs and dissipates the heat keeping your body cool while you sleep. The 2nd layer is memory foam that conforms to your body and sleep position to ensure you’re always getting a comfortable night’s rest. The 3rd layer is based on your preference. You can choose the medium-soft firmness or the extra firm depending on what you need or want in a mattress. The last is the support layer which is made to be durable and resilient.
• Lightweight compared to most mattresses we looked at
• Offers different mattress sizes and 2 firmness levels
• No motion disturbances on the medium-soft mattress
• An extra firm mattress doesn’t have as much motion isolation than the medium-soft
• Will fit on most frames but not all
11. Layla Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
The Layla Sleep Memory Foam Mattress uses copper infused memory foam that allows you to choose your firmness level by flipping the mattress. The copper-infused memory foam is both on the bottom and top layers so no matter what side you flip you will remain cool, offer support, and is antimicrobial. The convoluted foam layer offers body conformity and maximum airflow. The base foam layer is made of polyfoam and offers core support.
• The mattress is on the lightweight side
• The only mattress that you can change the firmness by flipping it and still have the cooling layer
• Uses copper foam that gives cooling and antimicrobial properties
• Certain frames may not be as compatible and can potentially damage the mattress
• While it offers 2 different firmness levels, it can be an adjustment and you may have to try some flipping to get what you want or need
12. Helix Midnight Luxe
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a medium firmness. It has a breathable cover that increases the airflow of the mattress to keep you cool at night. The quilted pillow top gives you an extra layer of comfort and cooling. It has zoning layers that will help your shoulders, hips, and align your spine because of the coils. The comfort layer of memory foam is pressure relieving and high-density. The support layer uses Gel Visco to give cushioning and support your body. The transition layer uses polyfoam to contour and give support.
• Comes in different sizes
• Zoning layers to relieve pain in your shoulders, hips, and align your spine
• Has handles for easy handling and moving
• The mattress doesn’t require a frame but if you use one, you need to be careful of the one you choose to reduce damage and sagging
• The mattress can take up to 30 days to break it in
13. Bear Mattress
The Bear Mattress comes in a medium-firm level. It has four layers in total. The first layer is the Breathable Celliant Cover which helps improve performance. The 2nd layer is cooling graphite-gel memory foam and rids body heat that often gets trapped in mattresses as you sleep and conforms to your body. The 3rd layer is responsive transition foam that offers pressure pain relief and balanced support. The 4th layer is high-density foam support that gives the mattress long-lasting durability.
• Uses Graphite-gel memory foam
• Comes in various sizes
• The medium-firmness can be too hard for some sleepers and it doesn’t come in other firm levels for the standard mattress
• A base may need to be purchased if you want an adjustable bed or would like to support the mattress
14. Amerisleep AS4
The Amerisleep AS4 has several layers of cooling, comfort, and support. The first layer is a Celliant Cover that helps the performance of the mattress. The next layer is the extra breathable cooling layer that uses a patented Bio-Pur foam to keep you cool while you sleep. It’s 5 times more breathable than memory foam. The 3rd layer is the comfort layer. It has zones that provide pressure point relief that rids pain and includes precision-cut channels that will rid heat and moisture. The last layer is made with the patented Bio-Core foam support layer to reduce sagging and is made with eco-friendly ingredients. You can even use the mattress on any type of frame.
• Able to use on any kind of frame
• Has several layers of cooling and comfort
• Celliant Cover that helps your mattress perform better
• Medium-soft might be not firm enough for those who are used to harder mattresses
• The mattress can take a few days to settle
15. Zenhaven Mattress
The Zenhaven Mattress uses natural latex as opposed to memory foam like other mattresses. It has 5in of Talalay latex with a 5-zone design for support, comfort, and spinal alignment. It’s made of New Zealand wool which gives moisture-wicking and breathability. The quilted organic cotton cover works with the latex to make it more comfortable and healthier. It comes in 2 different levels of firmness: luxury plush and gentle firm.
• Offers 2 levels of firmness
• Made of non-toxic chemicals and materials
• Has 5-zones of support, spinal support, and comfort
• Not recommended for all frame types and foundations
• No memory or gel foam
Overall, the mattresses we took a look at are all good options. Some listed are going to be better based on what you are looking for and what each has to offer but there is one that stands out more than the others. The WinkBed mattress has a few more features that the others don’t.
Not only does it have an innerspring, but it also uses gel memory foam in combination for ideal support and comfort. It offers lumbar support pads that the other mattresses don’t for better back and shoulder support. It also has a Tencel cover that offers an extra layer of cooling. If you are looking for a mattress that will keep you cool as you are sleeping and offer support so you can get comfortable and painless night’s rest, this is the mattress for you. It settles right away so on the first night you can sleep peacefully.