Top 10 Best Mattresses for Kids Reviewed in 2021
Now, you may think that buying a mattress for an aged individual requires a lot of careful consideration, but buying a mattress for your child requires evaluating just as many if not more factors. For example, a child will go through several periods of sudden growths in both weight and height and will risk outgrowing their mattress pretty quickly, diminishing the longevity factor discussed above. As sleep is essential for the healthy growth of a child, all the factors that make a mattress the ideal for that much needed recharging at the end, and sometimes in the middle of the day need to be considered as well, such as the material of the mattress and thickness, etc.
So, if you’re new parents and concerned about the health and well-being of your child as well as looking for the best value for your money, here’s a list of 10 carefully evaluated, best mattresses available on the market along with all the details that you need to be aware of to make a decision that is best suited for your child and is wise from an investment standpoint.
1. Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress – Medium-Firm Feel – Twin
For those among you who may be torn between a traditional spring mattress and the new technology of memory foam, look no further as this mattress provides the best of both worlds with nearly no disadvantages of either technology.
This mattress has memory foam layered on top of a traditional spring mattress, giving it the slightly rigid support of the latter along with the luxurious weight distribution of the former, making it an ideal purchase. The spring mattress provides a medium-firm feel while the memory foam adjusts to the curvature of your body relieving the pressure points, ensuring maximum comfort.
• The mattress is built for a person of up to 250+ lbs so it can accompany your child as he/she grows
• The mattress offers the comfort of two different technologies and disadvantages of neither
• The mattress comes in an easy to move packaging and is simple to set up anywhere
• There have been reports by customers of the mattress being a little to firm for their liking
• The brand is relatively new on the market, so it is up to the consumer whether or not they trust it
2. Zinus Extra Firm iCoil 10 Inch Support Plus Mattress, Twin
Made for a twin bed, this mattress is excellent if you have two children sharing a single bedroom and I’ll explain in a second just how. Underneath a 1.5 inch layer of comfort foam and a 1-inch layer of high-density support, foam is a 7.5-inch layer of individually wrapped coils.
This foam is fitted with Icoil technology, which means there are 10% more coils here than your average foam, which is individually wrapped. This technology ensures minimum motion transfer. Meaning if you’re sleeping partner is fidgety, their movement will not be felt across the mattress to your side, making it the ideal mattress if you have two children who need to share a bed.
• Icoil technology minimizes motion transfer
• The Foam is CertiPUR-US Certified, ensuring its durability and performance
• The foam offers smart shipment where it is compressed making it easy to carry up to a flight of stairs if necessary
• Some users have reported durability issues
• There aren’t any other negative reviews for this mattress
3. LUCID 10 Inch Twin Hybrid Mattress
If you’re worried about your child’s sensitive skin and wish to avoid allergic reactions than you may want to look into this bed. It has an interesting composition which involves Bamboo charcoal and Aloe Vera infusions, which helps pull away moistures from the skin and get rid of odors that tend to settle in memory foam. This set-up helps in reducing the likelihood of an allergic reaction, and also the Aloe Vera infusions help provide a fresh and relaxing environment for a good night’s sleep and a very pleasant awakening.
• Bamboo charcoal infusion wicks away moisture to keep a cool temperature
• Aloe Vera infusions allow for a fresh and calming environment
• The combination of memory foam, transition foam and individually wrapped coils provides a nice medium plush feel
• Some customers have reported sagging issues with the mattress after long term use
• Some customers have reported the mattress being slightly more firm than expected
4. Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, Queen
As a parent, you must be, and if you’re not, you should be, concerned about the chemical content of the mattress your children sleep on. This mattress from Zinus provides a sense of comfort in that region as it not only meets the certification standard of CertiPUR but also has a special treatment process with natural bacterial retardants such as castor seed oil and green tea extracts(hence the name) which also help in inhibiting odor.
The mattress has a nice 12-inch thick build with 3 inches Memory Foam on top, 2 inches Comfort Foam below that, followed by a 3.5 inches Airflow High-density Foam and at the bottom a 3.5 inches Airflow High-density Base Support Foam.
• It is the perfect mattress for those children who prefer a firm but comfortable surface to sleep on
• The green tea extracts help maintain its freshness
• The mattress is smartly shipped in a compressed form and is easy to carry
• There have been reports of the mattress not expanding to a full 12 inches after unpacking
• Some customers have reported that the corners of the mattress don’t fully expand
5. Saatva Classic hybrid innerspring mattress
The saatva classic innerspring mattress provides a traditional coil on coil design inside and tops it with a comfortable memory foam on top allowing for a firm yet comfortable feel but what really sets this brand aside from all the others on our list is its customizability. Saatva offers you the option to pick your desired firmness according to what’s best for your child’s body height and weight. The three options available are Plush soft, Luxury firm and Firm, and whichever option you pick does not affect the cost at all.
The saatva classic also offers the euro pillow top which is a step-up from the standard pillow top to some, but it can be left to personal preferences as well.
• It provides multiple firmness options
• It has been approved by The Congress of Chiropractic State Associations for excellent engineering
• It has excellent edge support due to a dual-edge support system
• Innerspring mattresses tend to have shorter lifespans than non-innerspring mattresses
• This mattress is heavier than others on our list and hence difficult to relocate
6. Nest Bedding Big Kid’s Bed Mattress
Unlike some of the other mattresses on our list this mattress has been specifically designed for young children in the lower weight class but by no means is it a weak competitor. It has a comfort layer on top comprising of Energex foam which keeps most of the advantages of a memory foam intact without incorporating its slow nature(as we know most kids are far from slow creatures). Underneath it is a five-inch layer of an Edge support base foam which gives it tremendous edges alleviating the worries of parents that their kid might fall off the edge in their sleep.
Its firmness and sinkage performance varies based on the weight; for heavier kids, it’ll have a plush feel while for light-weighted children, it will provide a firm surface.
• Excellent edge support
• Light weight and easy to move
• Cost-effective as compared to adult-sized mattresses
• Some customers had complaints regarding the off-gassing
• Not suitable for kids of a higher weight class
7. Olee Sleep 10″ Omega Hybrid Spring Mattress
This mattress is another fine choice if you wish to keep the growth and health and well being of your child in mind. The heat-treated, individually encased tempered steel coils inside it are specifically designed to conform to the shape of your skeletal structure ensuring perfect weight distribution from top to bottom essential to ensure that the vertebrae along with the neck and other delicate growing structures of your child are properly catered to and find a good resting position
On top of the individual coils are layers of memory foam that add to the already ecstatic comfort and luxury provided by this mattress.
• Individual coils provide low motion transfer
• Heat treatment of the coil ensures long term firmness of the mattress
• Excellent for stomach or back sleepers which is common in kids who like to throw themselves onto a mattress
• The mattress may be too firm for certain sleepers who prefer plush
• Some customers have reported poor edge support
8. Best Price Mattress 6-Inch Memory Foam Mattress, Twin
As you can probably already tell from the name, this is one of the better value for money mattresses, but that is not all this mattress is packing. This is an excellent build with three separate layers. The first layer is a memory foam which provides that sleeping in a cloud sensation that we’ve all come to know and love. The second layer is a ventilated soft foam which ensures that there is a decent airflow and keeps the mattress from heating up. The third layer is a high-density base foam which provides the firm base that all mattresses need.
The specialty of this mattress lies in the fact that even though it is firm under normal temperature when you lay on it, it reacts to your body temperature and molds itself according to the shape of your body and ensures maximum comfort which is again ideal for the skeletal structure of your child. It has a high recovery time meaning you will never feel like you’re going back to craters of your previous positions. As you move, it fills the space you were previously in immediately.
• High recovery time
• Temperature sensitive adjustment
• CertiPUR-US certified for safe indoor use
• As it is only 6 inches in thickness, it will wear out faster
• There’s a layering of fiber glass on it which some customers have reported to cause itching
9. Classic Brands Cool Gel Ventilated Gel Memory Foam 8-Inch Mattress, Twin
This bed has been provided with a 6 inch of high-density base foam for support and spinal alignment support, but the true selling point of this one is its 2-inch gel-infused memory foam on top which offers so many features. It provides all the features you love in a memory foam and adds extra features such as drawing heat away from the body to keep your child cool and it is known that in order to induce a healthy sleep a drop in temperature is essential, hence your child can fall asleep almost as soon as they lay down.
If you have concerns regarding allergies of your child, this mattress is naturally hypoallergenic, keeping away dust-mites, mold, and bacteria.
• It is Naturally Hypoallergenic
• Gel-infused memory foam provides a cooling effect
• CertiPUR-US standard approved
• Some customers have reported it being too firm for their liking
10. Home Life Comfort Sleep 8-Inch Two Sided Spring Mattress Green Foam Certified
If you’re looking for a simple not too extensively, feature-packed and hence not too expensive mattress that provides quality service and ensures a decent good nights sleep day in and day out(or should I say night in and night out) then this mattress is the deal for you. It is possibly the cheapest offer on our list and although it doesn’t have the extensively fancy features of some of the others it has a pretty excellent build quality which involves individually pocketed two-sided coils and quality foam and polyester layering on top of it that ensures a comfortable build. The individually pocketed coils minimize motion transfer across the mattress. It is padded for extra comfort and provides a quilted surface for added softness making for an even better experience.
• Excellent value for the money
• Quilted top provides a very soft feel
• Independently pocketed coils reduce motion transfer
• Mattress does not have good breathability
• Mattress lacks some of the more “fancy” features of the high-end products
All the mattresses on this list have their own appeal for potential buyers ranging from temperature effective properties to ideal thickness to Hypoallergenic properties, and all of these properties should be duly considered. The most recommendable is Saatva Classic hybrid innerspring mattress due to its variable firmness options according to you or your child’s liking, approval in chiropractic benefits from a reliable association, and superb edge support.
Regardless, with all of these facts figures and considerations now at your finger-tips, you are more than equipped to make a knowledgeable decision for your children so choose now and don’t forget to take your child’s opinion into account as well, as they will be the one actually sleeping on it.